Thursday, September 16, 2010

The most comments I have ever had was on my recent post

the other day about how I want my country back.

Interesting. There must be a lot of other people that feel the same way I do.

This past July fourth a couple of us old goaats struck a blow for liberty. It was as illegal as hell, and if I was caught there probably been hell to pay.

It started in June at a rifle match full of retired old guys and a couple of youngsters that had just gotten out of school. There was a lad there of about fifteen years with his grandfather and he was asking me how it was back in the day

I spoke a little about kids hunting and fishing and doing things and reminisced about the time I spread eagled out over a pile of brush in a pickup to keep it from being blown out of the bed.

The youngsters graandfather pointed out that i woulden't be able to do that these days with all the safety rules presently in place.

Another old guy said that it was a shame that today's kids would never know about riding in the back of a pickup on a summer's night.

"Just sneak them out into the country and do it," I said. If you are careful, nobody will be the wiser."

They both admitted they didn't own pickups.

My mouth got away from me. "Call me around the fourth of July," I said, pointing at my pickup.

I'll be a sonuvabitch, the night I got home from sea, I got a call asking me if the deal was still on.

I am good for my word. I told him to call the other guy I had been shooting with and he did. The second man called me and the three of us met and planned a nice little clandestine opeeration over beers on my porch. It was agreed that the parents would be aware of what was going to take place. I wass't going to add that to an already potentially long list of charges.

The following evening, well out of town, the two old duffers met me along with a total of six of their grandkids and they clambered into the bed of my pickup. One of the two grandfathers parked his car and hopped in with me. The other grandfather fllew 'chase plane' in case anything went wrong.

The signal he gave the kids was that if he turned his interior light on, they were all to duck dowwn beneath the level of the bed.

We took off and started through the country roads and the kids acted very well. They had been told that they were going to have a once in a lifetime experience and if anyone got out of line, they would be put straight into the chase car and that would be that.

It was a joy to be driving through farm country just after the sun had set and the laughter and squeals of delight were a joy to hear. I have no kids of my own and once in a while it's nice to hear them have fun because it takes me back to my wonderful boyhood.

The kids truly enjoyed the sights and the smells and the wind whistling past them, and i was glad for that.

Then we returned and the grandfathers took their kids home and swung by and the three of us struck another blow for liberty.

We had a drink on my porch and yakked for a while about how good it was to be able to share a little piece of our childhoods with a half-dozen of today's kids.

We're thinking of doing it again next summer.



my other blog is:http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. I love this! You know what else was fun, although it doesn't sound like it, was riding in the trunk of the car! I know I know. But my father hauled his bird dogs in the trunk, in a little bed with the trunk fixed just so in order to give them air. I decided that looked like fun. So we would get close to home, on a country road, and daddy would let me ride back there with the dogs.

    It was so much fun. We would tell that story. A few years ago, my nieces told their friends about it. They were teenagers. They decided they wanted to ride in the trunk. Several of them got into one trunk and they took off. Somebody saw this happening at the fast food restaurant. Police were called. They were found and separated and interrogated. No one was drinking, drugged, etc. The parents were called and everybody was lectured and told off. They were just having fun, like their aunts when they were little.

    Right. As if...

    ReplyDelete