Tuesday, September 28, 2010

One of the things that has not changed for GIs is

cocoa powder issued in MREs.

A GI I met at Camp Perry last summer gave me a couple of MREs which went straight into my seabag and stayed there until I returned from duty in the Gulf of Mexico.

This morning curiosity overwhelmed me and I was looking at the cocoa beveage powder that most of us tossed aside back in the day. Back then I would often make it because unlike most of the guys, I carried a lightweight primus stove during field problems.

Anyway, I got out an old canteen cup and heated wwater and put the water into the bag, shook it and poured the results into a coffee cup.

It was just as terrible now as it was back in the days when we weree still eating up the last of the WW2/Korea rations.

Actually, it wasn't ALL that bad put into the proper perspective.

If you were in a restaurant and bought a cup, you would be incensed. However, if you were sitting in a muddy hole somewhere in sloppy weather and a buddy handed you a warm cup of it, you'd probably be grateful.

In one respect, it is sort of cool seeing that something hasn't changed since my day, but in another respect it sucks because the troops deserve better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are three lines coming into the house, phone, cable TV and electricity. Soon there will be four as I am scheduled for high speed internet installation.

I went with FIOS because I just got the word that Verizon is doing away with DSL soon and as usual, the dirty bastards are not giving the public a 'heads up'.

I heard that they will sell DSL until the day before they remove it with little or no warning.

When that happens a lot of people will be forced to either find another ISP or switch to FIOS. Of course, being the easiest thing to do and feeling back to the wall, they will accept FIOS. What horseshit!

I hope someone sues the pants off of the bastards.

The only reason I went with FIOS is because some Verizon employee had the courtesy to tip me off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news, I think I am going to add to the butler's blog from time to time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I just looked at Tokies cremains and it has been a little over five years since the little guy passed away.

Time flies, yet there is hardly a day that goes by that I don't think about the little guy for a few minutes and smile when I think of some of the mischief we got into together.

I guess it won't be all that long until I get to hook up with him again at Rainbow bridge.

I miss the little guy.

There are instructions to slip the box of his cremains into my body bag and we will be buried at sea together by the United States Navy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------



my other blog is:http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment