Monday, September 13, 2010

I am of the mind to post some of the totally whacked

out stuff I was a part of in my twenties and early thirties when I lived in Alasks.

The reason I don't is because anyone that reads about it will 100% believe I am making the stories up.

When I first came to work here I told a few of the guys that asked me about it some of the things I saw during my 20s and early 30 in Alaska when I lived there. Nobody believed ma and a few went so far as to call me an out and out liar.

A couple of years later I met a guy I knew from the old days and the pair of us sat on the pipeline of a tank barge reminiscing. A couple of the guys I worked with listened in and were dumbfounded.

Word went through the fleet. "He wasn't making that stuff up!" was repeated numerous times.

Some of it is just plain out and out insanity makes no sense until you think about the people that I was with.

Most of them honestly had figured that there was no way in hell they were ever going to see thirty and so they threw ant sembelence of caution to the wind. Many of them were right. They never made it to thirty.

There was a motley crew of Vietnam vets there, and some had seen extensive action and I would imagine there ware more than one suffering from 'survivor's guilt' and I would have to say that post-traumatic stress syndrne was somewhat common.

There was also one guy I knew that had fought at Cassino during WW2 and he told me once that after that fight he felt that the entire rest of his life had been gravy.

The non veteran population also had a large group of just plain wild devil may care guys, some pretty decent, some out and out low-lifes.

It was an insane mixture and putting a group like that on one island with an opportunity to make good money, bars open 21 hours a day, an ample supply of drugs and with minimal police supervision was a sure recipe for chaos and bedlam.

Emotions over some things ran pretty high and there was more than one murder there. As I think back on it, I am surprised I wasn't shot for some of the stunts I pulled.

I'm going to think about it a while before I post any of this stuff here, but maybe I will.

We'll see.



my other blog is:http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment