Wednesday, September 8, 2010

One of the things that is a pain of owning a Gobook

is that it is not mainstream and parts are a gold plated SOB to find.

Other than that, it's a joy.

During crew change, some of the guys were paranoid about their laptops because of having to pass them across from the crewboat to the tug. I had no such worries, as this old thing can take a pretty good beating and still work. It isn't bad at all when you think about it.

Of course, some of the gys are gamers and such and for that sort of thing one needs a lot of high tech stuff, but if all you do is a little web surfing and writing like I do, you simply do not need the speed, memory and capacity.

It wasn't all that long ago I had a pentium 1 laptop and it seemed to be just as fast as the one I have today if I used a good input for the ISP.

Dial up has always been slow, but when I used the library's facilities, the little pentium 1 was pretty fast.

Of course, anyone that read this and is mesmerized by all of the new tech will think that we are talking about the stone age. Maybe I am, but still one has to look at their tools and be objective about what they are using them for.

All I want my machine to do is to surf the web, do email and generally give me a platform for writing and keeping up with my corrospondence. That's all.

When I say that to someone, they start babbling about how I can't play this or that game and that I'll never be able to keep up with those downloading movies or stealing music from someone or other things along these lines.

Generally when they start babbling along these lines, I recommend them to an EENT clinic so they can get their hearing fixed. When they tell me they can hear all right, I then suggest that they go back to school to learn to use the English language properly.

Anger ensues, but that isn't my problem. I can't help it if someone doesn't listen. I do not game.

This is the same type of mentality that insists that I ought to have power windows in my pickup or else I can not drive it across town.

SURPRISE! There was once a time when cars had no windows at all, and the human race managed to get where they were going. They just had to dress a little warmer in the winter.

Of course, over the years I have had to upgrade, but mainly because the infastructure seems to require that I do. ISPs and such will no longer service old technology. Also, the people that write programs realize that they now have bigger hard drives to play with and tend not to share files to make them wirk like they did years ago. Software people can be a little more sloppy.

When Bill Gates came out with the 456mb hard drive years ago he commented that it was more than people could use in a lifetime, and when you think about it, the way they wrote programs then he was probably right.

For what I use a computer for, I suppose I could just as well get by on the old Pentium 1 laptop I bought years ago for a hundred bucks.

Then again, this newfangled combat laptop isn't too shabby, either.

On the other hand, I am not in charge of the calculations used for the space shuttle, either.






my other blog is:http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment