Tuesday, January 3, 2023

I am going on the air in a few minutes

On the Good Old PRC 320 which is all I have to use these days.

I'm going to try and check in on the American Radio Friendship net on 40 meters when it starts. 

For those of you that don't know, nets are actually designed to spread information but virtually all of them in non emergency times are really just social nets. 

It's interesting how well they work.

A few years back we tried something. 

There was a ham in  NH and another one in HI. At the appointed time the guy in NH sent out a challenge word that required a countersign from the guy in HI. 

Everyone involved was supposed to send me an instant message when they got both the challenge and the countersign and include the time.

The message, IIRC, at the appointed hour got to HI in about a minute and the countersign got back to NH in about the same time. It was actually a little under 2 minutes.

It went from NH to WA to HI and back as the NH and HI people could not make direct contact. 

There were about 40 people involved in this and my computer lit up like a Christmas tree with everyone checking in! It took all of about 7 minutes to get the word out to everyone and most likely it was faster than that.

Of course several of the guys stayed on for about another 15 or 20 minutes looking for stragglers but there were none reported.

It's amazing how fast the word can be spread with ham radio.

Anyway, tonight is just a social net and I am going to try and check in with 30 watts and a wire in a tree.

We shall see what we shall see.

*************************

In other news a Social Security scammer wanted my SSN. It hasn't changed since President Roosevelt gave it to me personally. It's still 000 00 0006. I gave it to him.

He sked me how old I was and I said I was born in 1919.





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment