Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Someone asked me about why I dated older woman.

Because after my divorce I did not want to enter the dating world as it was at the time on the rebound and make the same mistake twice.

Early on I ran into a divorced 40 something that was(looking back on it) on the prowl. We were together for a while and it made me rethink things and for years afterwards I very seldom went out with a woman my own age.

It was actually a pretty good deal because I didn't have to deal with the girly crap about wanting to go to the club with the cool kids and all of the crap associated with it like the 'biological clock' that turns many single women in their 30s into a real mess.

The 'biological clock' watchers were to be avoided like leprosy. Not only were they a pain in the ass and desperate to marry but some of them were downright dishonest and were simply looking for a sperm doner.

I've met more than one guy that's either gotten themselves into a bad marriage or become an unmarried father (and was stuck with paying child support) by designing woman biological clock watchers that thought they were running out of time.

Still, after dealing with one 40 something early on I figured things out and set some parameters.

First, no never been marrieds or widows. Divorcees only. If she hadn't been married by 40 odds were there was probably something wrong with her. Widows were to be avoided, too. Divorcees went to the head of the line because it's a lot easier to compete against a rat ex husband than it is to compete against a sainted ghost.

Another thing about the older set is you didn't have to do much to impress them. "Hey, let's catch a movie at the Opium (Orpheum) theater." was met with a cheerful acceptence. 

On the other hand, an invite to an upscale place was likely to be met with "Why bother getting dressed up? Let's just grab a burger or something."

A number of times when I was passing through a place (read: short money in my pocket) they would recognize it and invite me in for supper or something along those lines. 

Wow! As I write I remember this damned close to 60 year old woman that LOVED to sail. Seeing how I was living on a sailboat she was a semi regular visitor and she never failed to bring along lots of food and drink. Once in a while whan I didn't have anything to do I'd run up to the head of the dock and jump into the corner of Telephone and Telephone and invest a quarter and she'd usually come running.

She was a wonderful woman, hilarious and excellent company any way you sliced it. A couple of times the proverbal three hour tour tuned into three days of gunkholing around Kodiak Island together.

At the time I was simply dating for fun and had no immediate plans of remarriage or having a family so 40 somethings generally fit the bill.

This didn't mean I dated older women exclusively. I didn't but over the fifteen years I spent single after my divorce I did date quite a number of them and enjoyed some damned good company and had a lot of fun.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment