Sunday, January 29, 2023

Contractors

One other thing in dealing with contractors. If you specify something (like in my case Zinsser BIN for remediation paint, a white pigmented shellac) and the contractor shows up with anything else then send him packing. It's YOUR job to make good and sure he know this in advance. Get it in writing if necessary and let him know you won't accept anything else.

This is a somewhat common practice with sketchy contractors. They agree to use top notch materials and show up with something less expensive with a song and dance about how it's the same thing. It may very well be but it wasn't the deal.

Back in the day when I contracted various jobs for a living if something came up I actually called the client and asked them if they would accept substitutions and gave them the reason. Most of them ran with it. Some didn't.

When I remediated the basement I picked a certain product and much to the credit of the person who bid and got the job we agreed would supply the product and he was labor only. It worked.

The little bastard took me to the cleaners, made about $100/hour and truth is I respected him for it. I want him to do some more work for me but I'm going to sharpen my pencil the next time.






 
On the other hand had I not gone this route I probably would have had to throw a couple more contractors out.

I am NOT a prick. I am a somewhat informed Old School consumer and 





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

2 comments:

  1. I would be hesitant to make your pencil too sharp. If you found yourself a contractor who shows up when he says, does the job correctly, and treats you right... That is 90% of the battle. You pay that man whatever he asks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed.
    You ALWAYS strive for win/win.
    Part of the deal was that he found materiels for me at a deep discount and passed that on to me. I didn't mind putting most of that into his pocket.

    ReplyDelete