Thursday, April 20, 2023

I just worked 4W1A, a station in Timor Leste

which is an island out in the exact center of nowhere in he South Pacific.

It turned out to be one of those things in life. I was in the pileup on 20 meters the first day and know I would have broken through but life interrupted and I had to drop what I was doing which I did.

Of course, when I got back propagation was gone and I had to start chasing it again. I had a limited time because it was a DXpedition and they were only going to be there for ten days.

I did the propagation chart thing and hoped but it looked dim.

A few hours ago I clicked on the rig and spun the dial and lo and behold! 4W1A with a workable signal. He was working a split and I set the rig up for that and BINGO! Third try and I was in the log.

I opened their clublog page after about a minute's wait and there I was on the online log. I ordered my QSL card and I'm happy now.

Someone commented on ham radio communication being obsolete and to a point it is. However it is the only form of short and long distance communication that doens't rely on infrastructure of any sort.

My black box in Pennsylvania communicated with his black box in Timor Leste, black box to black box. No internet, phone company or other middleman.

During Sandy I forwarded 5 messages from Puerto Rico to worried families concerning a loved one. It was the only form of comunication from PR to Stateside.






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment