Saturday, April 1, 2023

I left my hometown and main haunts fifty years ago come late May and

it just hit me that 'You can't go home again'.

I was looking at the rebuilding of the local railroads in the area and thought about getting off it at the nearest stop to the old family manse.

Then I realized I'd just be another old man that would probably be lost even though I still know my geographical way around town.

It's been fifty years and everyone I knew has either died or moved other than one or two people that may/may not still be around but even that is questionable.

About 10 years ago I went down the old street and nature called. I saw the old thicket that was still there and started to make a mental checklist. Paper? Check. I had paper towels. Then things went 'click' and I realized I wasn't a youngster anymore and the liklihood of getting caught was higher that it used to be and people are certainly less forgiving so I made a beeline for the Dunkin' Donuts a couple of miles away and answered nature's call there.

Change is inevitible. Progress is not.

I'm not going to judge if the old neighborhood has progressed but I would he a fool to say it hasn't changed.

Ten or fiften years ago driving past the old manse would have been kind of a nostalgic thing. Nostolgia isn't what it used to be so now it would be more of a curiosity if I drove past the place.

Fifty years is a paradox in a way. It's either the largest part of a lifetime or it's a fleeting minute. To me it's now both.

As for a trip to the old manse via railroad? Why bother. I'd just be getting off the train as a faceless old man and have to grab an Uber or something to get around. It's not worth the time or the money.

 


To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment