Monday, June 3, 2024

Back from the range


My bolt gun's groups had opened up and when I examined it I found out the barrel was not free floating anymore. Off to the shop. I can slip a card between the stock and barrel now for the full length.

Then it was off to the range. The barrel has a 1/9 twist to it and is designed for lighter varmint bullets. My service rifle has a 1/7.75 twist and shoots 68 grain Hornadys well but with the 1/9 twist it's close to being unstable. All I had on hand were 68s from my service rifle, added to the fact that my eyesight is getting more and more ragged by the day.

I had to check the zero and the first group of 4 told me I was damned close, I needed .2 mils windage and .3 elevation and my next 6 rounds tore up the X-ring.

The standard of accuracy for top shelf rifles is under a minute of angle (MOA) Mine just threw 1.25 MOA which considering I'm using my service rifle load and everything else involved is pretty damned good.

I USUSALLY zero for 50 yards because at that 50 yard zero it's an inch high at 200 yards but I decided to get some exercise and set up a target at 200 to check my zero. I'll take 1.25 MOA at 200 yards at this stage of the game.

As far as my service rifle goes, I'm having a buddy work on the ejector. It's still got the combat-type ejector spring in it and I don't have the tool to cut it down.

With the issue spring it throws brass about 25 feet and hits other shooters as well as being a pain in the ass to recover the fired brass. When my friend modifies it it should dump my fired casings in a nice nearby pile and I'll start shooting that again for matches because shooting the rapids in a bolt gun is like being a one armed paperhanger.

On the other hand, my last 2 rapids with the bolt gun were a 95-3X and a 100-2X which ain't bad. A lot of guys on the non shooting relay were watching me and when my scorer told them I had cleaned the target they were amazed. (So was I!)



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment