Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Both flights worked out OK

They were on the same model airplane, an Embraer 175 which means VERY limited carry on luggage space.

I don't like to check my carry-on so I upgraded a bit to insure I was in boarding group 3.

Active military of which there were none got to preboard , followed by First Class, followed by groups 2 and 3 and I took off like a shot and was the first of the non First Class passengers on board. 

I got to my seat, stowed my carry-on AND managed to jam my CPAP on top of it, saving precious space for someone else. The attendant noticed what I did and actually thanked me for it. Luggage on these flights is a dismal situation and it's first come first served.

It was a pretty uneventful flight and I landed at Logan and met my niece without a hitch. From there to a semi screwed up rental car from Hertz.

The return flight was delayed briefly, maybe 15 or 20 minutes and while waiting I met this pretty young VERY polished black girl from Mississippi and we chatted. She's getting her education at Brown in some sort of pre med program. She was one of the most articulate and intelligent young people I have ever met. There was a wholesomeness about her rarely seen. She looked like the kind of girl that would marry the Beav.

I said that if she left the pre-med program to make sure she chose a good major instead of something useless which is what I always tell young people. "Minor in your passion and major in something that will feed you," I said.

I was treated to a huge warm smile. "My grandmother said that," she replied. 

Because of the delay Delta fooled me but I was quick on the uptake. The counter woman gave no warning and said, "Active military and veterans may preboard now." which was a surprise. It's almost always active military and a couple of times I've heard active and retired military but this was the first time I ever heard active military and veterans.

I don't park in veterans spots and flaunt it but when it comes to luggage space on an Embraer 175 all's fair in love and war.

I was on my feet instantly and as I was headed for the airplane like a shot. I recalled I did have my Vet ID card in my pocket in case I was challenged. (I got one to buy booze at the Class VI store near the sei nearby AFB) I was the first person aboard and stowed my stuff the same was I had done previously.

I gave the attendant a big smile and said, "Hiya, gorgeous! Where ya been all my life?" and she laughed and I knew I'd get something extra. Maybe an extra cookie or something.

First Class gets free alcohol of any type. My class got a free beer or free wine and when she came by and asked me what I wanted I gave her a wink and quietly asked her if I could get a shot of whisky and a beer because I had spent a week with the family.

She handed me a beer and discreetly dropped a shot of Blanton's on my lap with a smirk. (I would have preferred Jim Beam but beggars can't be choosers.)

It really doesn't take much to get an occasional freebie from an attendant, just a cheerful word or something that lets them know you're not going to be a pain in the ass.

Uneventful flight and caught an Uber home with an interesting guy that was a Turkish immigrant. 

Protip: When you take an Uber you get to message them. I ALWAYS say something like "Blue roller bag, pink backpack, gangster hat. I'm a movie star." It actually works. They look for me.

I did get in late and, needless to say I got up a little early to make up for it.

Oh yeah, I gotta stop eating for about a week or so because there was a screw-up with the food ordered for the party. They gave us a double order or something and when they discovered the error they just told us to keep it all.

For the next couple of days I was there it was a forced-feeding of party leftovers. I told the kids it reminded me of the time Dad brought home a brontosaurus back in 1959 and that I had just finished the last of it a couple of weeks ago.
 



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment