Monday, August 30, 2010

My hooves are now shod in what Texans often call

'manly footwear'.

Yesterday I scored a deal on a pair of western boots, which is good. I also snagged a couple of pretty good western shirts.

My trip home from Mobile made me think about adding to my wardrobe. I met a guy from India in the airport that was dressed in a western cut suit. It was funny, but when we chatted he told me he was here getting his citizenship and was living in Oklahoma. He told me that dressing western was part of the American picture.

He was right. There are a number of things that are unique to this country,

When he told me that he didn't seem to be quite so much out of place. He was embracing things that were uniquely American. Pretty neat. I bet he will do well here.

When I lived in a tipi in Colorado many moons ago, my usual uniform was a western shirt, jeans, boots and a Stetson. It is a uniform I have worn in the service when I had a detail that took me to Europe. Off duty I was expected to wear civvies.

The officer I was assigned to took one look at me, shook his head and told me I looked like Slim Pickens, but didn't order me to change.

He was astonished at how many Londoners approached me and how many pints were offered me. We would go down the street and some Londoner would take one look at me and say, "It's a bloody American cowboy!" and start chatting with me.

Later in Paris, I wore the same outfit and the normally rude Parisians were still rude, but a number of them let their curiosity get the best of them and they would approach me and actually address me in English, which is damned rare for a Parisian.

Sometimes it's fun to dress like a cowboy because it reminds you that you are an American.

There are a few things every American male ought to be able to do and the usual 'have a good suit' crap I won't post, but will go on to say one thing.

Every American male ought to have at least one western outfit in his wardrobe just in case he needs it. Or maybe for when he feels like wearing something that is uniquely American.


my other blog is:http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment