Sunday, August 22, 2010

This is a pretty good wake-up

The Three Stooges are on.

It is the episode where they all put the yeast in the beer they were making.

A classic.










It is now a little later and I went looking for something and while doing so, I thought of what Mark Twain said: A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

That is no lie.

The other day I read a gripe from one of the troops regarding the total amount of crap they have to carry around on their backs while on patrol.

Now, there certainly is a lot of crap a grunt has to carry on patrol, and that is more than a human being was designed to carry for any amount of time. Things are bad enough as it is.

The GI wasn't griping about that, he was griping about some of the useless crap he has to carry because some jerk further up the chain of command has mandated it.

I can just picture what he is griping about and I positively see his point.

Why do people further up the chain of command that are so insulated froom things think that they can micromanage things and be successful?

It's easy for some general to decide that all troops should carry an item that weighs a couple of pounds because he is not carrying it.

Things like this should be decided at, say, company or even platoon level.

One of the things I like about my work situation is that they allow us, the guys doing the work, to make most of our own decisions.

While American business can leearn from the military, I'd have to say that the military can sure learn from private enterprise.





Sign of the day:

Touching wires causes instant death

$200 fine.




my other blog is:http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment